Thursday, March 6, 2014

Scavenging for an Oasis

As spring knocks on our door, we are continuing our rooftop prep for our summertime oasis. The travel bug has been biting pretty hard lately, but we've realized that having this garden will definately hinder our abilities for a summer time journey. I'm not really in a position to rig up an irrigation system on a timer here. It's hard enough to communicate that I don't want corn and sweet potato mousse on my pizza, so I'm not going to walk into the little hardware store/tent and try to make that happen. I'm kind of scared of going to a hardware and garden store the first time I'm back in an English speaking country. My mind might just be totally blown. Anyway, we've decided to keep the long awaited Thailand trip for our winter break. It's better then anyway.

So while we are in Seoul for the duration of the spring and summer, we are making some new furniture and putting some finishing touches on the rooftop garden in order to make it as much of an escape as possible. We have dreams of tending to the veggies while listening to music, hanging out with something tasty on the grill, or just a good book and some sunshine. Of course, that is when it's not raining and the air isn't suffocating. So, about 2 weeks out of the year.

I have gone through hundreds, maybe even thousands of drum sticks in my lifetime. It always pained me to toss away those perfectly straight wood poles with just the tip missing, but I never had an idea that would give them a second life. Until now. During our hikes up Namsan mountain I started scavenging old logs that were cut and laying in piles. I decided to make a stool and use the old drumsticks for cross braces. I really wanted to try fitting wood together with nails, and these worked perfectly. Then I decided to do the same thing with some branches as well. They aren't perfect, but I'm learning and loving every minute of it.

We decided on steering our lives in this direction a long time ago. Basically when we first met, which isn't that long ago, but now that we are baby stepping our way there it gets better and better. Out of nowhere after we'd been together a couple weeks, I turned to Chelssie and told her that I wanted to get a little goat farm and make cheese. She never loved me more. I have a lead on an organic farm here that has goats, so the next post from me will hopefully have been after my first goat milking. Obviously my goals in life have changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment