Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Sky High Possibilities....And a Few Pics!

"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." Michael Altsuler

Here is the first post from, not necessarily the better half, but the other half of this slightly dynamic duo. We are moving steadily into February with some projects percolating and others that are just dreams in our silly little heads that we can't start until we have moved on to our home continent.

We are improving our potential garden beds and now we have a supply of seeds to fill them with. Actually, we have seeds for about a 2 acre plot, but we have just under 1/100th of that in space. The rooftop is going to hopefully become a magical place filled with growing things to tend to while we enjoy our morning coffee and some Seoul sunshine. That's the idea at least. For those who have been here, it could be a place to bake and sweat while in 2,000 percent humidity while I curse and moan like only a true McKinney man can. I'm optimistic about this though, and I better be good at it or else I have a great weight loss plan in store for us.

In the mean time I'm trying to find a great use for this old counter top that I found on the street. This method of living is a fine balance between minimalist and hoarder. On one hand, I don't need stuff. I have lived a pretty stuff free life for the past 15 years and I quite enjoy it. When you live in a one bedroom apartment with 3 people, and then a van with 5, you get pretty good at it. Living in Korean apartments is pretty close, so I have honed my skills quite well. Then there's the part of me that sees something laying on the street that isn't ready for the landfill. I have decided that, for better or worse, whether true or false, I can turn anything into something useful. Sometimes I'm sure it will be a complete over estimation of my abilities, but I'll never know unless I try. So far I've been doing alright making some tables and other furniture out of pallets and scraps I find on the street. Hey, I gotta start somewhere.

So for now, if I see someone jump off a tower with a homemade helicopter on youtube, I won't try that. But a lamp made from old wine bottles... Now that, I'll try.

Pictures Below:

-Pallet Table for the end of our bed, unstained...

-The beginnings of the rooftop garden made from salvaged bookshelves and lattice...

-Our bed, with the finished pallet table mentioned before...

-Bird house made from wine corks and pounded beer caps...

-Mini spice jar necklace made for Herconcretecabin this past Christmas...

-Grilling. Open fire...

-Pallet side table to house the record player and plants...

No comments:

Post a Comment