Thursday, February 6, 2014

Organized Chaos

Hey all,

It's Herconcretecabin again. A short post today because I mainly wanted to pop in and yap about some of the things I've been reading as of late.

From one of the homesteading pages I follow on Facebook,I got side tracked to a site called "Apartment Therapy", where I read an article about a young couple who built their very own mini/ off grid cabin in Tahoe, California. The cabin is compact, but well thought out and contains everything they need. Even better, one of the duo had no experience as a builder, which gave me hope as a relative novice myself. Anyhow, as I was reading about their space, I was brought back to something I've been thinking a lot about lately....The fact that while our compact space here in Korea is pretty great, it is filled with lots of um, unnecessaries. That's being polite....really it's a lot of junk. You know the stuff I'm talking about. It runs the gamut. Old papers, unmatched socks, random travel sized shampoo bottles, tools, craft supplies, old gift bags/magazines/denim scraps etc etc that I'm saving in the interest of re-purposing, not to mention the usual suspects like that 50% of my wardrobe I never wear, or the heaps of books I thought I would read and haven't. yada, yada, yada.

I took the first step a while back to cut out the clutter by hosting a clothing exchange, which was a great way to git rid of things and helps save money as well (new clothes for free? Um, yes please). I felt better for a bit, like I had accomplished something, but here's the thing with purging....it's kind of addictive and you get to looking at all the other crap you have with a very critical eye. I'm of that personality type anyhow, where I do something in an all or nothing manner, which can get kind of intense at times. Just ask Hisconcretecabin. Soooooo, instead of approaching this as a whirling dervish (as I normally would), we're taking small steps by making a concerted effort to a) not bring any more into the house b) assess what we actually have and periodically get rid of the stuff we don't need and c) organize the stuff we do. Easier said than done, on all three points. Best case scenario, it's a work in progress, worst case... we're on a future episode of hoarders and that cat we thought got out of the house is found under a pile of the aforementioned crap. Oh dear.

Til next time, Cheers!

Herconcretecabin

As promised, here's the link! www.apartmenttherapy.com/tim-and-hannahs-diy-tiny-tahoe-cabin-house-tour-199722#_">

No comments:

Post a Comment